Wednesday, March 14, 2012

100 Days of Bliss

Go find your bliss.

This was the last thing someone said to me yesterday after a conversation  about what I want to do with my life, with my skills and experiences. It really does boil down to what makes me happy. I think when I decided to get into the social services field I knew that my goal in life was not to make oodles of dough. My degree is in Social Sciences, specializing in Public and Community Services. That should tell you huh? It's been 9 years since I graduated and my work since has been reflective of my degree. I love working with people and helping people, that is very clear. My passion is the joy that comes from the different interactions I get with the different people I cross paths of. I have worked with adults in mental health and individuals with developmental disabilities. In that, I have worked with therapists, job coaches, social workers, psychologists, school personnel and parents.

So after this conversation yesterday I thought about what bliss means to me. Bliss can be defined as perfect happiness or great joy. There are different things in just the past few weeks that have made me smile and feel happy. Touching the soft coat on the dachshund mix dog I walked at the animal shelter, being pushed down and licked by Lucy the Newfoundland, passing a super stubborn level on Bubble Pop on my tablet (apparently my stubborness to pass won), seeing my boyfriend come hug me when I said I would live with him, cracking up at how ridiculous Dwight is in The Office and wishing I worked with him, seeing the turkey soup that my mom made as soon as I walked in the door when I was feeling sick, how it felt when I played Moon River on the piano, getting as many hugs as I wanted to from little Danny, and more.

So I decided to make a commitment and to do just what I was told yesterday: go find my bliss.  For the next 100 days, I will go and find my bliss. It can be anything big or small, unexpected or planned.  Then write about it at the end of the day, the thing that stood out to me as my bliss of the day. I think it will be interesting to see how it develops along the way. I want to see if knowing what my plan is will alter what I choose at the end of the day. Maybe I will go out of my way and visit the dog park down the street because I know I get bliss out of seeing doggies,. Or maybe I will find bliss when I stop by the grocery store because I happen to find a quarter there on the ground and God knows how much I love filling our vacation jar with fallen treasures in forms of pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters.

So, salud to this 100 day journey. To not only finding what I set out to find, but to finding what I won't expect along the way.

2 comments:

  1. I hope your blog on the 100th day will be the announcement of which destination you selected where you plan to blow your vacation jar contents!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol if you remind me I will post what we have planned at that point! :)

    ReplyDelete