Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Day 6


The Breakfast Club. Classic of the 80's. This unexpected B-moment came up very late last night. The honey was on his way over and I was contemplating which movie would best complement dinner. I was wearing the Breakfast Club tshirt that honey got me 2 Xmas's ago. Except on my tshirt were guys like Tony the Tiger (they're grrrrrreat) and the 3 guys from Lucky Charms. Ding! Inspiration! I pulled out the 1985 classic The Breakfast Club, ready to introduce to honey one of my all time favorites.

After all these years, I still pay close attention to every line, laugh and get touched by the scenes and dialogue. Towards the end of the movie it occured to me this was my b-moment, and tried to figure out why. I was 6 when this movie came out, wasn't even in the U.S. yet. However, growing up in the US, we watched it often and now I understand I love this movie because it's not just a great flick, but more because of what it reminds me of. Childhood. I first watched this movie when I was the same age as the high school characaters in the movie, and they felt like "my peers" or people I could relate to. Even last night while watching, I still felt like I did back in that timeframe, as an adolescent. Sure didn't feel like a 32 year-old woman watching high schoolers conversate. For 97 minutes I still felt like how I did watching it 16 years ago, when I was the same age as them.

The B-moment came from the combination of it all -- the comedy, the reality of how challenging being an adolescent can be and the desire to fit in with peers, the nostalgia that came with bringing me back to a time of childhood and happiness. "Don't you forget about me..."

Expected bliss: 2, unexpected: 4

1 comment:

  1. If only we taped the movie with our answering machine, you could be listening to this movie while driving!! :)

    ReplyDelete