Thursday, March 29, 2012

Day 15

Music is bliss

I heart music. I love playing it, I love listening to it. I took piano lessons for 9 years and violin for 5, but have loved music for an eternity of 32 years. I play piano at my apt and on the beautiful digital piano my better half gave me for Xmas. Recently was able to check an item off my bucket list to play in public, at our work's board meeting reception. I have been wanting to play at other places, like at a coffee house or restaurant, just to do it.

Yesterday I was reading this awesome blog http://www.366randomacts.org/ where the author has taken on the quest to give back with one random act of kindness each day for 2012. He had asked for more ideas of how else he can give back, which made me think about what I can do. I always loved to volunteer and started the giving back in high school. There were so many fun opportunities, such as calling out Bingo numbers at a senior home, cleaning up and painting over graffiti, tutoring at the high school library, etc. So as I sat thinking of some ideas, I found my bliss when I came up with an idea for myself.

I will contact various senior homes to see if I can go play piano during their recreation time. The gift of music. I am not an awesome pianist, but it would make me happy. The other day on a walk in my neighborhood I walked past a senior home and was sad when I saw an older man sitting outside by himself looking at the dead end street. We made eye contact. We waved. I'd like to think the small exchange brought something positive to his day, but I'd more hope he knew that the interaction brought me joy. So the idea of having the opportunity to go bring what I love to others brightened my day. And hey, more opps to play in public right?


This link is a video of me playing piano with our close family friend, may he rest in peace. The last gift he gave me was his piano. That's the one that I play at my apt. I had started saving up for a piano for my bday gift that year, and we went to visit because he had gotten ill, and was moving to go live up north with his son. Just like that he gave me his piano. What a gift he gave me. The gift of music from his love. I want to pass it on.

expected bliss: 7, unexpected bliss: 8

2 comments:

  1. Maybe it is just me but the sound of the piano just makes me stop whatever i'm doing and stand mesmerized by the notes of the music for however long it is playing ( it can get awkward when shopping), you play beautifully I think the senior homes will love to listen and enjoy your company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I gotta agree with you. If I hear piano music or someone playing I always stop to admire :) Thank you I hope so too! When I finally get around to it I will post about it for sure!

      Delete